Skip the typical Kraft dressing and make these simple and classic salad dressing recipes at home. They’re fast, easy, and delicious.
Ranch Salad Dressing
(Makes 3 to 4 tablespoons)
- 2 tablespoons well-shaken cultured buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon rice vinegar, optional
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder, optional
- 1 to 3 teaspoons finely chopped fresh chives, mint, and/or Italian parsley, optional
First whisk the buttermilk and mayonnaise. Taste and season with salt and pepper. Whisk in rice vinegar, garlic power, and herbs (optional).
Italian Salad Dressing
(Makes 1 ½ cups)
- 1 cup canola oil
- ¼ cup white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 large pressed garlic clove
- 2 tablespoons of finely chopped shallots
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped red bell pepper
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon dried marjoram
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- Ground black pepper to taste
Combine all the ingredients into a jar and shake vigorously until the mixture is thick and well mixed. Alternatively, you can choose to whisk the ingredients in a bowl.
Eggless Caesar Salad Dressing
(Makes 1 cup)
- 5 anchovy filets
- 3 cloves of chopped garlic
- 1 teaspoon of ground black pepper
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons of red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon of Dijon mustard
- ½ cup olive oil
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese
Bash anchovies, garlic and pepper in a mortar and pestle, then whisk in the lemon juice, vinegar and mustard. Whisk in oil slowly, then stir in parmesan. Alternatively combine all ingredients in a blender and puree.
Blue Cheese Salad Dressing
(Makes 1 ½ cups)
- 4 ounces (1 heaping cup) of crumbled blue cheese
- ¼ cup of sour cream
- ¼ cup of buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons of mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons of lemon juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
In a bowl mash cheese and sour cream until it forms a chunky paste (similar to the consistency of cottage cheese). Stir in the mayonnaise, buttermilk, and lemon juice, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
Note: Make the dressing a dip by reducing the lemon juice to 1 tablespoon.
(Makes about 1 cup)
- ¾ cup of olive oil
- ¼ balsamic vinegar
- Ground pepper
- Optional: spoonful of mustard, minced shallots, minced garlic, minced herbs, teaspoon dried herbs, spoonful of honey
Combine the olive oil and balsamic vinegar in a jar. Add a big pinch of salt and a few grinds of black pepper as well as optional ingredients, then shake vigorously. Add more salt and pepper to taste.
What’s your favorite salad dressing?
Republished by Blog Post Promoter