So we have made our love for quinoa evident and well, what’s not to love? Quinoa is high in iron and vitamin B 12. Both iron and vitamin B12 are essential for energy production and weight loss. If you are deficient in B vitamins, it can slow down your weight loss process because your body won’t be able to synthesize nutrients as efficiently. Quinoa is especially helpful for vegetarians trying to lose weight who have trouble finding foods that will fill them up. Quinoa is full of dietary fiber, which binds to fat and cholesterol causing your body to absorb less fat and cholesterol. This is one of the many ways that quinoa can help you lose weight. The fiber found in quinoa also reduces the plaque build-up along your arterial walls, which reduces your risk of heart disease and stroke.
In addition to its many health benefits, it is also super easy to make and tastes delicious! There are so many great recipes out there to choose from and we were spoilt for choice! We picked out seven of our favourite, tried and tested recipes to help you enjoy quinoa even more.
- 1/2 cup cooked quinoa
- 2 scrambled eggs
- 1/2 avocado cubed
- Salsa, lemon pepper, garlic and salt to taste. Enjoy!
2.Apple Cinnamon Breakfast Quinoa
- 1.1/4 Cup dry quinoa
- 1/4 Cup cow/soy/almond milk
- 1/4 Cup water
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1 packet of stevia
- 2 Tbsp raisins
- 1 Tbsp chia seeds
- 1 medium apple, finely chopped
- Rinse quinoa
- In a small saucepan bring quinoa, milk, and water to a boil.
- Reduce heat and cover. Simmer on low for about 5 minutes.
- Add in cinnamon, stevia, raisins, apple, and chia seeds.
- Continue cooking on low until all liquid is absorbed. Total cook time is anywhere between 8-12 minutes.
3.Quinoa Pudding With Maple Sugar
- 2 cups of whole milk
- 1/4 cup of sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1 cup of quinoa
- Maple sugar for topping with some chopped almonds
- In a medium saucepan (over medium heat) combine the milk, sugar, cinnamon, salt, and nutmeg.
- Bring to a boil and stir in the quinoa.
- Simmer (stirring occasionally) until the milk has been absorbed and the pudding is thick (20 – 25 minutes).
- It may look like it is not thickening up, but after about 10 minutes it should start getting thicker and more pudding like.
- Sprinkle maple sugar and chopped almonds and serve warm.
4.Quinoa Stuffed Bell Peppers
5.Quinoa Crusted Shrimp
- ½ cup flour
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp paprika
- ¾ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup raw quinoa
- 1 lb medium shrimp, peeled and de-veined
- Olive or vegetable oil, for frying
- Set up 3 bowls and a baking sheet with a rack on top.
- In the first bowl, thoroughly mix together the flour with the salt and all of the ground spices.
- The second bowl will have the beaten eggs, and the third bowl, the quinoa.
- For each shrimp, holding by the tail dip them in the flour mixture, eggs, and then quinoa – shaking off excess at each stage.
- Place on the rack on the baking sheet and set in the fridge while heating the oil.
- In a heavy-bottomed pot, heat 2 to 3 inches of oil over medium high heat.
- Fry shrimp for 3 minutes and transfer to another rack on a baking sheet.
- Immediately season with a bit of salt while they are hot out of the oil. Serve warm
6.Kale, Quinoa, and Cherry Salad
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 1/2 (6-ounce) packages baby kale
- 1 1/2 (8.5-ounce) packages pre-cooked quinoa
- 3/4 cup fresh sweet cherries, pitted and halved
- 2/3 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced shallots
- 1 (15-ounce) can unsalted chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 ounces goat cheese, crumbled (about 1/2 cup)
- Combine first 6 ingredients in a medium bowl.
- Combine 1 1/2 tablespoons oil mixture and kale.
- Place kale mixture on a platter.
- Stir quinoa blend, cherries, parsley, shallots, and chickpeas into remaining oil mixture.
- Top kale mixture with quinoa mixture and cheese.
7.Alyssa’s Quinoa Coconut Macaroons
Which is your favourite quinoa recipe?
Republished by Blog Post Promoter