After her debut on Drake’s “From Time” on Nothing Was The Same, Jhené Aiko has been blowing up in the hip-hop game with her ethereal cherub-like voice and sultry weed-hazed beats. She is certainly a top-choice to listen to for unwinding and relaxing under the sun this summer.
Don’t let her featherlight tones and baby face confuse you. Aiko is 25 years old and a veteran in the music business. She was signed to Epic when she was only 13 years old and provided vocals to the R&B boy band B2K before leaving to write her debut mixtape Sailing Souls in 2011. Being so involved at such an early age, she was able to have collaborations with big players in the game on her mixtape including Miguel, Drake, and Kanye West.
With Tupac, Eminem, and Kendrick Lamar being some of her major influences, Aiko believes in writing her own lyrics. She believes it defines her as an artist:
[quote_center]“After each song I’ve lost like a piece of me, because I’ve put it into the song.” [/quote_center]
Facts You Probably Didn’t Know About Jhené Aiko
- Her real name is Jhené Aiko Efuru Chilombo
- She is only 5’2
- She has an alter-ego called J. Hennessy in which she assumes the persona of a female rapper
- Like J.Cole, Hennessy is her favorite alcohol
- She is a mom. With rapper O’Ryan (pretty boy Omarion’s brother), she gave birth to her daughter Namiko when she was only 20
- She is mixed. But it’s not that simple. Her mother is Japanese, Spanish, and Dominican, and her father is African American, Yaqui, Choctaw, Cherokee, Navajo, and German-Jewish. She also has French ancestry
- Aiko was baked out of her mind when she wrote and recorded her part on Drake’s “From Time” on Nothing Was The Same
- Regarding her 2011 mixtape Sailing Soul, “With the mixtape I was really writing and recording everything while high”
- Her favorite foods are barbecue wings, cookies and cream ice-cream, Twix, and Snapple
- She likes the color blue and Gameboy games
Don’t be deceived by her gentle demeanor and delicate sensual voice. Jhené is definitely a force to be reckoned with. Her smooth flow with slow-tempo beats and aggressive lyrics perfectly compliment this summer’s relaxing tropically warm days and swimmingly cool nights.
Listen to some of her songs here:
[soundcloud url=”https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/110942651″ params=”color=ff5500&auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_user=true&show_reposts=false” width=”100%” height=”166″ iframe=”true” /]
[soundcloud url=”https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/119810096″ params=”color=ff5500&auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_user=true&show_reposts=false” width=”100%” height=”166″ iframe=”true” /]
Are you a fan of Jhené? Or is she another one hit wonder in the hip hop world?
Republished by Blog Post Promoter