One thing that I look forward to most on the weekends is planning out my meals for the following week. Dreaming up new recipes, shopping for the required ingredients, and prepping my creations is something that I thoroughly enjoy. Sure, I’ll sometimes opt for something quick and easy for those busy week night dinners. But for my lunches, I like to put some thought into it. I get tired of the plain ‘ole sandwich or leftover dinner, so salads are often my go-to dish.
Now, you might say that I have a bit of an obsession with salads. Is that a bad thing? Please lie and say no. I love coming up with new ways to incorporate different grains and vegetables that will lend flavor to a delicious and healthy salad. And because I love Mexican food so much, I decided to turn it into a healthy dish. Not your standard taco salad, crammed full of lettuce, beef, and taco fixings, but something on the healthier side.
So say hello to this tasty and delicious Mexican Quinoa Salad! Crammed full of hearty quinoa, cherry tomatoes, sweet corn, black beans, and feta cheese, you can satisfy your taste for Mexican food without all of the calories.
The ingredients in this Mexican Quinoa Salad are simple and flavorful. Not only does this dish pack a punch filled with protein from the quinoa and fresh veggies, but the dressing is light and refreshing. Lime juice, cilantro, olive oil, garlic powder, and a touch of cayenne pepper season the salad with classic Mexican flavors.
And the best part, besides the amazing taste? It’s a cinch to whip up! Once your quinoa is cooked and cooled, simply toss in your veggies and prepare the dressing. Because this salad is so versatile, you can season it depending upon your tastes. Don’t like cilantro? Leave it out! Love black olives? Add some in!
So the next time you’re looking for a creative and easy lunch, try out this Mexican Quinoa Salad! The flavors will remind you of your favorite Mexican dish, in healthy form!
– 2 1/4 cups chicken broth
– 1 1/4 cups dry quinoa
– 1 (10.5 oz) container cherry tomatoes, halved
– 1/2 red onion, diced
– 1 cup frozen corn, thawed
– 1 (15 oz) can black beans, drained
– 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
– 3 tablespoons olive oil
– Juice of two limes
– 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
– 2 tablespoons cilantro (I used cilantro paste, but cilantro leaves would work well, too)
– Dash cumin
– Dash cayenne pepper
– Salt and pepper, to taste
1. In a medium sauce pan, bring chicken broth to a boil.
2. Add quinoa and cook according to packaged directions. Once cooked, drain and set aside to cool.
3. As quinoa is cooking, prepare the dressing. In a small bowl, combine the olive oil, lime juice, garlic powder, cilantro, cumin, cayenne pepper, salt, and pepper. Whisk until thoroughly combined. Set aside.
4. Add quinoa, tomatoes, onion, corn, black beans, and feta to a medium bowl. Toss to combine.
5. Pour dressing over quinoa mixture and stir to coat.
6. Serve immediately or refrigerate until ready to serve.
– I cooked quinoa in chicken broth to give the grains more flavor. Quinoa can be cooked in just water, if desired.
– Salad is very versatile depending on your tastes. Feel free to add in different veggies, cheeses, and spices.
– Salad will keep refrigerated for up to one week.
Republished by Blog Post Promoter