Success doesn’t happen overnight, it’s the sum of your daily actions over time. One of my favourites quotes sums this up perfectly:
“A small daily task, if it really be daily, can beat the labours of a spasmodic Hercules” – Anthony Trollope
Here are some of the best pieces of advice or habits to follow each and everyday, that will help you live your life to the fullest every day.
1) Wake up early. Pretty much every successful person gets a very early start to their day. This gives them time to be alone with their thoughts or work out before the hustle and bustle of the day. The morning is a very peaceful time for reflection and I find I do my clearest thinking when I’m still half asleep (counter-intuitively).
2) Take time to acknowledge those around you for their positive contributions. Some CEO’s will take time out of their day to write personalized thank you cards to people around them. This acknowledges the hard work that is being done, and is infinitely more personal and meaningful than an email or a passing comment. If you aren’t the letter writing type, implement some sort of system (ie. buying coffee, taking them out for lunch) that honours stand-out employees. Even in your family life or marriage,
3) Iron your clothes. This small step every morning can set the stage for your entire day. You are literally dressing for success! Everyone has had one of those days where they rushed through their morning and had to go to work with wrinkly clothes, and then your productivity is effected all day long. You don’t feel as confident with clients or coworkers. It’s a domino effect. When you aren’t your best self right from the early morning, it will only get worse through out the day.
4) Make sure you eat breakfast every morning. Yes, your mom was right. The most important meal of the day is crucial to ensuring that you are able to be creative first thing in the morning. Also, if you’re like me, sometimes the prospect of eating breakfast is enough to get me out of bed in the morning!
5) They move their bodies. Successful people know that the key to success lies in staying as healthy (mentally and physically) as possible. Most successful people do their workouts in the morning so they can kickstart their day with a shot of endorphins.
6) Spending quality time with friends and family. This is one that can often get put on the back burner, because a lot of motivated young people think that they should be putting 110% into their work. This is what causes burn out. You will be super productive at work if you take time to rest and relax.
7) Keep a daily plan of attack. Whatever isn’t written down will be forgotten. Or put into your iCal, or in your smartphone. Whatever your preferred method of keeping track of your life is, USE IT! Use it relentlessly. Need to pick up toilet paper? Write it down, or you’ll be on the toilet tonight and suddenly remember that you need it. I am a fan of using post-its, an agenda, my iCal, and my smartphone. You can never over do it!
8) Find joy in the simple things. The biggest key to success is to not get bogged down by the things that really don’t matter, and to find happiness in the small, seemingly insignificant things in our lives. The flowers on your desk, your goodbye kiss with your children or husband in the morning, your afternoon coffee. Whatever it is, make a point to savour that moment whenever it comes along.
9) Make note of your peak productivity times and capitalize on them. If you notice that you are most productive in the early morning, then you should be waking up earlier to do more. If you are most productive late at night, adjust your sleep schedule so that you can still get enough sleep and be productive. Use your morning commute to study a new language. If you get an afternoon burst of energy, make sure you are at your desk and ready to work when you know it is coming!
10) Don’t be afraid to say no! If you can’t take on any more tasks, don’t be afraid to say no. You are only human and you only have 24 hours in a day. You need to prioritize your life in the way that works for you and your family, and gets things done.
So tell us:
What habits do you have that contribute to your success?
Republished by Blog Post Promoter