Elizabeth Woolridge Grant, also known by the stage name, Lana del Rey is a singer-songwriter who strikes chords in the hearts of the teenage broken-hearted. Often referred to the hipster queen, her vintage style, flower crowns and American influences, show she is deserving of the title. Her powerful mysticism and “death-is-inevitable” attitude draws the attention of anyone who has been through anything in life. Her style is a sultry sound, using her contralto voice, slipping around her wide vocal range from the jazzy lower sounds to her higher range. Lana’s music has often been called cinematic and emotionally draining. Her experiences with men, America and substances is where she draws most of her inspiration. She recently released her third studio album, Ultraviolence, which have the notable songs “Brooklyn Baby”, “West Coast” and “Shades of Cool”.
But here are 10 facts that you probably didn’t know about Lana del Rey:
- She has dealt with teenage alcoholism since the age of 15, that’s when she moved to a boarding school in Connecticut to get sober.
- She moved to the Bronx when she was 18 and performed at local pubs.
- She studied metaphysics (at Fordham University), a branch of philosophy which tries to answer the fundamental nature of being and the world. She was never one to stray away from the question, “Why do we exist and how did we get here?”
- Her boyfriend is James O’Neill a former member of the band, Kassidy.
- After the success from her first record, she took the ten grand and moved to Manhattan Mobile Home, a trailer park in North Bergen, New Jersey.
- She describes herself as a “Gangster Nancy Sinatra” or “Lolita who got lost in the hood.”
- Lana was about to give up on the music business until she released her song “Video Games” on Youtube that had over 20 million views in a couple of months.
- She has various tattoos, “M” (which represents her grandmother, Madeline) and “Paradise” on her left hand, “trust no one” on her right hand and “die young” on her right ring finger.
- She is an avid supporter of the English Premier League team Liverpool.
- Lana acted in a short film called Poolside in 2010.
What do you think about Lana del Rey’s new album, Ultraviolence?
Republished by Blog Post Promoter